Are you planning on customizing your very first closet? Confused between too many options, numerous companies to choose from?
If that is the case, you have come to the right place. We understand how intimidating it can be your first time getting a customized closet.
So today, we are going to talk about two of the most renowned closet companies – Closets By Design vs. California Closets.
Read on to find out which company meets your requirements the best.
Differences Between California Closets And Closets By Design
To understand which company will be best for you, you have to learn about their services and offerings. The company that meets your expectations and turns your vision into reality will be the right one for you.
So, let’s check out the differences between these two companies:
Types of Custom Design Offered
Variations of design offerings are one of the most important factors while choosing a closet designer. Closet designers should be able to reflect your wardrobe needs and style.
So, it is important you know what types of custom design offerings they have. This will help you to take a step forward towards the right closet design for you.
Now let us have a look at the different offerings by California Closet and Closet By Design.
- Closet by Design
Closet by Design company has four different types of design customization. Read on to know more about it:
- Everyday Collection
Just as the name suggests, Closet by Design offers more modern and family-friendly customizations.
This collection was meant for everyone, even people who think customized closets are very expensive.
- Classic Collection
This collection offers a solution that reflects the traditional closets. This collection offers a stylish yet practical closet design by using its soft edge treatment.
- Regency Collection
Regency collection offers a more refined design for your closet problem. Sophisticated yet practical is the theme of this collection.
- Brio Collection
This one features bold and chic looks. Sleek looks featuring natural woods like cypress and fir make this collection one of a kind.
- California Closets
California Closet has labeled its design offerings as Level 1, 2, 3, and 4. Each level has a detailed explanation of everything offered. I have talked about this in California Closet Vs. Closet Factory write-up too.
- Level 1
This level is called Practical Simplicity. Like the name states, California Closet provides designs to maximize storage through simple custom designs.
You can choose accessories for your closet and customize shelving and partition dimensions as well.
- Level 2
California Closet calls this level Expanded Features. Here you can choose designs for a larger customized closet or other rooms with more customizable options.
- Level 3
This level is for people who want to create handy yet extraordinary personal spaces such as elevated closets.
This level offers the option of choosing the entire palette along with specialized customizations.
- Level 4
Lastly, they have the Luxury Refined level. The name says it all. California closet offers premium specialized closet designs in level 4.
Luxurious walk-in closets with premium aesthetic designs are customized for customers who choose Level 4.
Budget And Prices
Price is another important factor that differentiates companies. Nowadays, closet companies try to offer a price range for customers with different budget ranges.
So read on to know more about the price allocation of both California Closet and Closet by design.
- Closet by Design
Since closet by design ensures customized closets for people with different budgets. Their price range starts from around $1000 for basic customization.
For different collections provided by them, the upgrades and additional customization can range from $3000 to anywhere around $8000.
- California Closet
California Closet claims to provide custom designs for any budget.
- Their price for practical simplicity is level 1, starting from $1000 for a 6-foot space.
- The price for level 2 starts from $3000 for a 6-foot space.
- The price for level 3 is around $6000 for a 6-foot space.
- Lastly, the price for level 4, which is the luxury refined level, starts from $11,000 for a 6-foot space.
You can learn more about this from my California Closets Vs. Elfa article too.
To get the right customized closet, it must match your home aesthetics and decor. And that is why closet designers provide different finishes to match any look you want.
- Closet By Design
Closet by design has three main finishes with several options for each finish.
- Solid colors are of three types –
Solid Colors: Antique White, Summer Drops, Shadows, Black
Solid Color Upgrade: Moonlight
- Wood Grain: This contains several options like chocolate pear tree, candlelight, rustic cherry, and many more.
- Textured: The textured finish has the BRIO series and the VIVA series. Brio Series contains options like summer breeze, river rock, dark chocolate, and others. On the other hand, the VIVA series includes finishes like Sunday brunch, textured white, sunset cruise, etc.
They also offer three different styles for doors and drawers- flat, deco, and shaker. Besides this, they have a wide range of styles for handles and knobs starting from classic to traditional, metal to glass, and even vintage-styled ones.
- California Closet
California Closet claims to acquire its materials and color palettes from designers around the world. Their materials are eco-friendly and California Air Resources Board compliant.
So, the different finishes they offer are:
- Albero™: Replicates the look of the real wood grain. Comes in two colors- Natural & Grigio.
- Dakota™: Gives the look of painted wood for a more modern feel. Comes in two colors- Washed White And Shadow black.
- Tesoro™: Made from recycled Tesoro woods to give a rich wood texture. Comes in 8 different colors like Tuscan Moon, Maya bronze, Ash, etc.
- Lago®: Replicates the feel of real wood veneer. Comes in colors like Bellissima White, Milano Grey, Siena, and many more.
- LuxeMatte™: Gives off a very minimalistic look with its velvet matte finish. Comes in the color Dove.
- Classic: Classic flat finish that comes in colors like white, ivory, and cashmere to give a more balanced look.
Built-in closet accessories are an added plus to the customized closets. And they have gained quite the hype.
Well, why wouldn’t they? Who would not want a built-in accessory for convenience?
So let us have a look at the accessories these two closet companies offer:
- Closet by Design
Closet by Design also offers a variety of closet accessories to make the organization of your closets convenient and practical. Not just California Closets, Closet By Design is standalone than Closet Factory in this regard too.
- Adjustable Shelves
- Security Drawer
- Deco Doors with Fluted Glass Inserts
- Tilt-out Hamper
- Base Molding
- Crown Molding
- Belt, tie, and pant racks
- Shelf fence
- Island with Deco Drawers
- Jewelry Drawers
- Cubbies, and many more.
Lastly, let’s see what this woman has to say about Closet By Design.
Now, let’s talk about its counterpart.
- California Closets
California Closet aims at customizing closets with designated accessories for each item. The accessories they offer are:
- Exclusive Everstyle Drawers
- Shoe Storage
- Drawer & Shelf Dividers
- Jewelry Drawer Dividers
- Pull Out Racks & Accessories
- Hampers & Baskets
- Additional options such as Collapsible storage boxes & integrated safes.
How To Choose The Right Closet Company?
With all this information, it can still be confusing to decide on the right company. So how should you decide?
Well, there are some things you can consider.
- Get a consultation with the company to understand its offerings and pricing.
- Consider your budget and whether the company can provide the closet you have envisioned.
- Check for reviews online.
- Check if they provide warranties.
- Try to check some of their stock solutions if they have any.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Let’s learn the answers to a few frequently asked questions about these two brands.
Most companies offer a free consultation at home or virtually. You can check their website for consultation information and process.
Yes, you can. You will be consulted after the 3d model is made for further changes and the final draft.
No, most closet companies offer customizations for bedrooms, living spaces, garages, and workspaces.
Yes, they do. All features, keys, and the warranty of your new closet will be explained to you after installation.
Now that you have gained insight from the California Closets vs. Closets by Design discussion, it will be easier for you to decide. Take your time and analyze all the factors.
Choose the company that meets your requirements and your vision of a dream closet. Enjoy watching your vision come to life!