Are you struggling with your Larson storm door? Did your installation miss something? Do not worry.
We will talk about Larson storm door installation problems and how to solve them.
Larson Storm doors have gained quite a popularity for their built-in screens. With various styles and colors to choose from, this could be the upgrade you are looking for.
Problems With Larson Storm Door Installation and Fixes
Here is a list of these issues:
- Closer speed problem
- Can’t hold the door open.
- Sagging door frames
- Door gets slammed
- Door locks get frozen.
- And some more…
Starting from problems with the door closer to sagging door frames and unhinged screws, these are a few common problems you may face after the installation. Some of them are just common drawbacks of any storm door.
Let’s talk about these problems in-detail.
- Closer Speed Issues
After the installation, you may feel that the closer speed is either too fast or too slow for your liking.
We have a solution for this. First, unhook one of the closers to adjust the other. Then, rotate the adjustment screw ½ turn at a time till you get to the speed of your liking.
Keep in mind, clockwise rotation lowers the speed while counterclockwise rotation increases the speed.
- Unable to Hold the Door Open?
If you don’t know how to keep the storm door open or are unable to do it, follow these instructions.
In the case of a typical closer, move the hold-open washer against the closer when you open the door.
To close the door, you must open the door further and move the hold-open washer against the jamb bracket. Then let go of the door.
For specific models with a hold-open option on the bottom closer, tap on it when you open the door. It is easier for these models. You push the door a little and let go.
- Entry Door Bumping Against the Storm Door Closer
Although sliding the closer nearer to the storm door should do the work but, in some cases, you may have to install shims to the storm door to move it away from the entry door.
In case you don’t know, this is how to shim a Larson storm door:
- Loosen the screw from the bottom hinge of the storm door.
- Now take a wooden piece of the shim and place it by the hinge.
- Then tighten the screw and check whether the alignment of the door is right now. For that, you must open and close the door.
The above steps should fix the shimming issue.
- Sagging Door Frame Problems
Over time, the door frame can start sagging and obstruct the storm door from closing properly. You will notice that the door frame hinges are moving when you close or open the door.
You may have to tighten the screws and install additional screws to secure the position in such situations.
If you notice any gap between the door frame and jamb, you may have to insert a shim so that the door can close.
- Door Frame Expanding Issues
Due to weather changes, the door frame can sometimes expand, causing obstructions in the door’s movement.
To fix this problem, check where the door is touching on the frame. Plane that portion of the frame so that your storm door can open and close properly.
- Loosely Attached Closer
If you keep hearing a popping noise every time you open and close the door, then you must check the closer bracket screws.
The closer can make such noise when the bracket screws have not been installed tightly. Tighten them properly.
If you must, you can use screws of larger diameter.
- Door Getting Slammed
Storm doors will slam shut if the position of the closer is not right.
To fix this problem, you must alter the position of the closer and test it out by putting in the different holes.
Check whether the door is slamming or not after moving the closer to a different hole till you get the right position.
- Door Locks Getting Frozen
Larson storm door condensation is a big issue. Locks and other moving parts of the storm door can get stuck due to freezing or a collection of dirt.
To avoid this problem, you should oil the hinges from time to time to keep the house door locks from freezing.
Now that we have talked about all the problems, let us brief you on how to install these doors.
How to Install Larson Storm Door?
You must know how to install the storm door so that you can look out for any problems from the start.
Here is a step-by-step instruction on how to install the Larson storm door.
- Step 1: Measure the width and height of the door frame.
- Step 2: We recommend hinging the storm door on the same side as your exterior door. So, once you place the hinge rail, draw a dot in the middle. Now remove the hinge rail.
- Step 3: You must drill a hole in that dot to add the screw. Keep ⅛’’ of the screw visible.
- Step 4: Next, you must attach the hinge rail to the Larson Storm Door. Align the top hinge to the top of the door frame while keeping the interior side of the door facing up. Use a hinge screw to them together. In the same manner, drill the rest of the holes and bolt the rail with the door.
- Step 5: Place the door extender rail at the bottom of the hinge rail. Then place the topmost hole of the hinge on the screw from Step 3. After that, tighten it.
- Step 6: To secure the hinge rail, drill a screw into the bottom hole as well. Once you do that, move the door extender rail to the doorsill.
- Step 7: Put in the rest of the screws on the internal part of the hinge rail.
- Step 8: Push the storm door against the door frame to install hinge screws on the outer part of the rail.
- Step 9: Line up the drip cap on the frame to align with the hinge rail. Install the screws starting from the nearest one to the hinge rail.
- Step 10: Now, move the door extender rail to the latch mounting rail. Install the latch rail in such a manner that the door can be closed without hitting it.
- Step 11: Now bolt the latch rail to the brickmould properly. Then you can install the hardware as per Larson storm door latch installation instructions.
- Step 12: Move the expander in place at the bottom of the door. Make sure it is touching the doorsill very scantily. Then you can insert the screws after drilling.
- Step 13: Double-check the positioning and then attach the adjustable closers as per the instructions.
Now, watch this video to see for yourself!
Now you know the common problems you may face with the storm door installations and how to fix them.
But here are a few suggestions to keep your storm door working properly:
- Make sure your storm door’s model suits the type of entry door you have.
- Clean your storm door every day.
- Always check for a sagging frame.
- Grease the moving parts from time to time.
- Always check for broken or worn-out hinges and replace them immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
It should take less than 1 hour to install it.
When the pin of the closer needs a little adjustment, the door may slam. You can move the mounting position of the closer to another hole and test it out.
No, Pella storm doors are made by Larson instead since the later one bought Pella recently.
Depending on the features, the cost may range from $120 to $500.
Larson Storm doors provide ample aesthetics along with the proper protection your home needs. So, with such qualities, it is hard to say no to Larson Storm Doors.
And now that you know all about Larson storm door installation problems and their fixes, you can fix these problems.
With these insights, rest assured and install the storm door of your choice. Do not forget to maintain all safety measures!