To prevent the weeds from taking over your lawn or yard, you need the best weed killer for lawns from trusted brands. If used as instructed, you will get a 100% weed-free lawn.
You can’t go cheap to save your lawn. Home remedies don’t work for most tough-to-control weeds. You need something that’s trusted by thousands.
10 Lawn Weed Killer Trusted By Professionals
Here is a comparative list based on effectiveness and popularity.
Roundup Weed & Grass Killer
|View On Amazon|
Tenacity Turf Herbicide
|View On Amazon|
RM43 Total Vegetation Control
|View On Amazon|
|View On Amazon|
|View On Amazon|
|View On Amazon|
1. Roundup Weed & Grass Killer
Many people have their own reasons to hate roundup but it’s still the most effective way to kill weeds. It kills them to the root!
It’s so popular among people over other brands because of its not so complicated formula. The clear dilution chart is all you need to effectively apply it.
After 30 minutes of the application of the solution, even the rain won’t wash away the effectiveness. It’s that great!
You can try so many other ways which I will cover as well, but this is the only product that will get the job when others fail terribly. And yes, it can deal with hard-to-kill weeds like nutsedge.
When you face an invasive infestation of weeds, the roundup is your only safe alternative. For most of the common weeds, it takes only 1 to 2 treatments, but for hard-to-kill weeds like nutsedge, it will take 3 to 6 treatments.
While I don’t recommend roundup around your garden but this particular version is safe if you don’t overspray onto your flowers. It won’t do any damage to your flowers even from seeping into the soil.
Sure, it’s the best weed killer that doesn’t kill grass when applied as instructed but don’t expect to see overnight results.
It says it will take 2 days to see results and you will for most of the listed grasses. For other tenacious grasses, it may take a week or two. But this stuff really works!
Let’s just say it’s killer. It’s just a generally accepted fact. You should definitely try it where picking weeds is no longer an option for you.
And depending on where you are, once the weed and unwanted grasses are gone, it will last for the whole spring and summer.
So, it’s ideal for you if you have tones of the area to spray or you can store the rest of the solution for an entire year!
Common Features & Other Pros
- Depending on your requirement, add 2 and ½ oz. per 1 gallon of water to see the best result. You should use this during warm sunny weather and when the weeds are actively growing. Stubborn weeds will yellow and wilt within 2 to 4 days.
- If you are mainly dealing with poison ivy or brush, you can mix 6 ounces per gallon.
- Highly recommended to apply around the flowers, trees, and shrubs. Suitable to use for garden plot preparation or complete lawn replacements.
- 30 minutes rainproof.
- Effective and economical to deal with widespread weed problems in large areas. Kill weeds and grass from any areas like your patio, walkways, driveways, etc. where they don’t belong.
- I know it’s toxic but if you live in a hot and humid area where weeds grow tall and thrive and nothing works to kill them, just bit the bullet and get this!
- Highly toxic and will kill any grass it touches on your lawn or yard.
2. Tenacity Turf Herbicide
When you need to kill only the weeds NOT the entire lawn, this is what you need. It works and it works well. However, it needs time to work as it kills selective weeds by starving them.
With 40% Mesotrione as active ingredients, it has already proven effective to kill clover, weeds, crabgrass, Dandelion, Thistle, Nutsedge, Barnyardgrass, etc. just like magic.
But the good thing about the Tenacity Turf Herbicide is that you can use it as both the pre-emergent and post-emergent herbicide to control your weed problems.
You don’t need any spray weed killer, get this instead. Just mix 1 tablespoon with 2 gallons and wait for about 2 to 3 weeks. The weeds in your lawn will stop from week 2 and they will die in week 3.
But what’s so interesting is that you can still seed while spraying. This way the old weeds protect the seeds by covering them. Eventually, the weeds die and you have your new seed sprouts!
Unlike roundup, it’s not toxic or poisonous. It’s just a chemical to prevent the weeds from photosynthesizing. But I recommend using a surfactant as well. Nothing fancy, just a dish detergent will do.
Many have already gone from lawns full of crabgrass to lawns without crabgrass. They tried quinclorac to prevent the crabgrass from taking over their lawns but did not work.
Only Tenacity worked! No wonder why so many people have recommended this including professionals!
You may need 2 or 3 treatments depending on what sort of weeds taking over your lawn, but rest assured—it will work. But you MUST follow the instruction!
Why Tenacity Works & Your Lawn Need It?
- The active ingredient of Tenacity is mesotrione which is derived from the bottlebrush plant. When unwanted weeds absorb this through the roots, leaves, and shoots, it inhibits their photosynthesis and kills them ultimately.
- Super effective against at least 46 species of broadleaf, Creeping Charlie, and grasses.
- Give it a shot against touch to control weeds like bentgrass and clover, and see the magic! Once you get rid of the weeds, you will see up to 95% less weed infestation during the next season.
- Without killing your lawn, it kills weeds as you have never seen before.
- Even if it’s too late and weeds have already taken over your lawn, give it a shot. It will kill them nonetheless.
- Not so effective against Nimbleweed, Oxalis, Wild violet, and Loriape.
3. RM43 Weed Preventer
Ask any herbicide application specialist to check how effective it is. Within just 3 weeks, all the weeds will be gone. Once gone, they won’t come back for another year!
Do not spray it on grasses you don’t want to kill. If you accidentally kill your beloved grass using RM43, you won’t see a sign of life for a year.
If you have been using glyphosate to kill weeds but they come back again a few months back, you should try the RM43. Highly unlikely that the dead weeds will come back again and take over your yard.
You can see it is working within week one or two. Once it starts working, it kills weeds like a beast from your yard, concrete cracks, etc.! For quick results, you can use 3% of the solution.
Not everybody is fond of glyphosate but when nothing can’t manage the tough to kill weeds like foxtail, nothing works better than glyphosate. And RM43 nailed it!
It won’t just kill them; it will prevent their weeds from germinating as well for more than 1 year. A very long-term solution to having a 100% weed-free yard!
But as safety protection, you MUST wear gloves and a mask. Yes, it’s safe once dried but do not let your pets and kids go nearby the application areas for at least 24 hours just as extra precautions.
Apart from your lawn or yard, spray it in the driveway cracks or anywhere from where weeds may creep in. All the pesky weeds will be dead within weeks. No room for disappointments.
You can also spray it around your lovely rose bushes or around any trees. Just make sure it does not get too near to their roots.
Yes, it’s expensive but it’s super effective. In fact, it will save you a lot of money from buying store-bought weed killers that won’t work.
Why RM43 Works?
- 1 gallon of RM43 will treat up to 43,243 square feet and it’s recommended by professionals to kill weeds from fence rows, yard, sidewalks, parking areas, barns, etc.
- Not just weeds, it’s great for total vegetation control as well including vines and brush. Works better to kill poison ivy and poison oak.
- It works better than using roundup in many cases and gives your long-lasting results. No more weeds overrun driveways by heavy rainfalls.
- In fact, you can apply it to any location where no vegetation is expected.
- You don’t need to spend money on Surfactant for Herbicides to use with RM43.
- Apart from the listed weeds and grasses, it kills any other weeds. Just make sure it reaches its roots. You can poke holes around them for this purpose.
- Takes some time to work. If you need the instant result, it’s not for you.
4. Gordon’s SpeedZone
Is your lawn completely covered by creeping Charlie? Mowing every week is not doing much? Use Gordon’s SpeedZone to deal with such hard-to-kill weeds.
Removing stickers weeds is a daunting task. Once infested, it will take over your entire backyard in no time.
Spray it and see the drastic result. The entire area where it applied will look dead. Now you can take steps to build a healthy lawn.
It works great for poison ivy, red violets, broadleaf, dandelion, and the most common type of weeds. I don’t need to remind you how hard it is to kill them without damaging your grass.
But all such weeds will be completely gone within weeks without hurting your lawn grass if you apply this concoction! It kills such weeds where other post-emergent seem ineffective.
In many cases, it has proved effective to kill dead-nettles and creeping Charlies where many roundups and store herbicides did not work.
It takes only 2 or 3 applications to kill them all mercilessly. And you will begin to see its magic within 2 to 3 days.
Without remotely damaging your grass, it will kill dandelions and other alike weeds within just 12 hours! Until you apply it, you can’t believe how fast it works and kills.
Yes, it’s one of the best weed killer that won’t kill grass but don’t apply it in hot weather if you must protect your beloved grass. Because, under hot weather, it kills your desirable grass around the weeds too.
Ground Ivy is tough to kill. Many people used Bayer lists, Ortho Weed B Gone, and Spectracide to kill it. Did not work for some people but Speed Zone did!
You would be surprised knowing how many people failed to get any visible result to get rid of little ground ivy vines. They die but come back again and again.
They only applied the Gordon’s SpeedZone lawn weed killer twice and it completely knocked them out! And they never come back.
Why You Need Gordon’s SpeedZone?
- For quick results, it’s second to none. In fact, you will see its performance within hours of application.
- You can cover up to 14,000 to 18,000 square feet.
- Super effective against troublesome creeping Charlie, Russian thistle, oxalis, poison ivy, and common weeds in the turfgrass without harming the lawn grass like Bermuda, fescue, and zoysia grasses.
- It works better in cool weather. The temperature should be less than 80 degrees. It will kill the lawn grass if applied in hot weather (above 110 degrees).
- Highly effective against weeds under the shaded areas too. They will begin to tilt with 24 hours.
- For better performance, you can use any surfactant as well.
- Economical for large-area applications too. The price is just right for such phenomenal effectiveness!
- Does not work on nutsedge weed.
5. Spectracide Weed & Grass Killer
When weeds and grass grow rampant and they are beyond pulling manually, you need something hardcore. If you need to see the result within hours, you need Spectracide.
This is something you need when your garden, lawn, or rock flower bed area turns into a jungle. This product works and gives you hope when you lost hope in other herbicides.
It comes with a sprayer and you can adjust it so that you can target only the pesky weeds. With this, you can spray around your ornamental trees and landscaping plants as well.
Most of the time you will need only one application. Maximum two or three if you have some tough-to-kill weeds (stubborn poison ivy), morning glory vines, moss, etc. and you really hate them. No just weeds, this can remove moss from concrete permanently!
Definitely, you will come across some negative reviews about this product not being so effective. To me and so many other people, such comments are not true.
Whereas roundup failed to kill completely weeds of all kinds you can imagine, this did work in just one day! Of course, it does not work on all weeds like onion grass, it’s still a great option to consider.
It works well on most of the weeds and grass types. I say this because it has already proven to be effective to eradicate thistles and pesky ground ivy, it should work on most of the kinds.
But like in the case of everything, patience is the key. You may not get instant results like others due to many reasons (temperature, weed types, soil, etc.).
So, if you don’t get results within your first trial, go back and re-apply the solution.
More Features & Benefits
- In addition to seeing visible results with 3 to 4 hours, you can replant your lawn or yard the same weekend too.
- An integrated sprayer that you can attach to the bottle directly.
- Unlike other herbicides, it just not only makes them die, but it also makes them shrivel up and wither away.
- You can spray the solution around your favorite plants, rose bushes, and hedges to kill surrounding weeds and grass. Your desirable plants will be fine.
- It kills everything it touches. So, if you want to spare your grass, just spray around them to kill the surrounding weeds.
- Very affordable cost and one gallon can cover a large area.
- Super effective for rain-prone areas too. Raining after 15 minutes of application won’t wash away its effectiveness.
- Don’t let your kids and pets enter the treated area until the treatment is fully dry.
- For reseeding or laying sod, you should wait for at least 7 days after the treatment.
6. Southern Ag Amine 2,4-D
2-4-D application is great for selective broadleaf weed killing. As per the people who spray lawns professionally, 2,4-D is second to none when it comes to killing broadleaf weeds.
With some patience, you can successfully get rid of weeds if you apply this solution after aerating. No more overrun lawn with weeds!
If your lawn is overrun by hawkweed, dandelion, clover, plantain, etc. — it can kill them all within 2 weeks.
For many people, it killed crabgrass as well though you will read otherwise from some reviews. Please keep in mind that, you must apply it while the weeds are growing.
Following the instruction is the key to successfully kill the weeds and not causing any harm to your grass. Getting it wrong will kill your lawn grass. And the instruction is not so complex as well.
With every gallon of water, you need to mix 2 ounces of the concentration. As for surfactant, you can add 1 drop of dish soap (to make it sticky and spread evenly). That’s it!
Yes, for some people it’s hard to understand their instructions. So, just keep the above tips in your mind.
If your lawn is overrun by different types of weeds, apply the spray weed killer carefully. There will be only grass only within a few days. But you must apply it sparingly during the summer.
Apply this treatment only when the temperature is warm (90-100 degrees F.). It will do a poor job killing weeds if the temperature is below 65 degrees F.
No matter what kind of goat head stickers, clovers, and weeds you are dealing with, the 2,4-D works like magic to kill them within two weeks max.
More Features of Southern Ag
- Highly recommended for people to use 2,4-D who did not get the desired result using fertilizer or other weed killers.
- Suitable for many broadleaf weeds that are invading your lawn, fences, or ornamental turf. Kills any weeds with a strong root system as well.
- Ideal to drastically reduce the weeds infestation and give your lawn grass a head start.
- Some weeds are tenacious. So, you may need more than 1 application during the spring and fall application. But for the clover growth issues, it will knock them out within 2 days!
- You need only 2 to 3 tablespoons of the concentration to mix with 3 to 5 gallons of water. And it’s enough to cover 1,000 sq.
- Never ever let it touch your grass. Even the slightest contact will anger your lawn grass.
- The cost is fair and it has enough content to last a long time for any residential usage.
7. Hi-Yield Killzall
It’s NOT for you if you need instant results. It can’t get rid of weeds quickly, it needs some time to do its magic.
To kill the Bermuda grass quickly and effectively, you need to cut them close to the ground first. Then apply this solution. And it will kill them!
If you apply it to kill young growing crabgrass, it will kill them as well.
But do not buy any ‘safe for grass’ weed spray. You will be disappointed. Just use it cautiously and you will be good.
If you find their instruction on mixing confusing or not so clear, just use 1 to 3 ounces’ of concentration per gallon of water with any surfactant and you will be good to go!
But keep in mind that if you mix 3 ounces per 1 gallon of water, it will be super deadly and will kill almost everything it touches.
Within just the first week, clover and alike weeds will start shriveling up and dying within 2nd week.
However, it’s important that you use dish detergent or any other surfactant to make this effective. Without the surfactant, it will run off when used on waxy leaves.
No more down to your knee and pulling out weeds manually from their roots! And the best part is the weeds will find it very hard to come back for a very long time.
So, ensure enough shielding around the grass you want to thrive on first. Then apply this solution to kill weeds taking over your yard. Your neighbor will be curious to know what you are doing for your lush green lawn full of grass!
More Reasons To Get Hi-Yield Killzall Weed Killer
- A slow killer and Deadly (41% Glyphosate) to weeds yet cost only a fraction of roundup. Again, it does not work as fast as roundup.
- It dries fast on plants to kill the weeds or whatever vegetation you want to kill faster.
- Proven to keep your lawn weed-free longer than other brands.
- For reseeding or sodding, you must wait at least 2 weeks after the application.
- Apart from lawn prevention, it’s ideal for stump treatment, brush & vine control.
- It works better when applied to growing weeds. If you have large tree-like weeds, cut them down first and then apply them when they start growing for better effectiveness.
- Once the brush-type plants, poison ivy, and other weeds are gone, they won’t come back at least for the next year.
- If it’s cold mainly where you live most of the time, you should try this low-cost but effective solution where other herbicides won’t work well.
8. BAYER CROP DuraZone
Are the crabgrass and other weeds growing in your backyard and it seems it’s getting worse and worse? Before they get fully mature, apply this solution when they are growing.
And they will keep dead and won’t come back for a long time. You will see a few of them again that you can pull out by your hands easily. It’s easy to keep them in control that way.
If you have a stone landscaped yard, you should try this on those creeping weeds that seem hard to kill. People who have used a number of weed and grass killers already have recommended this.
Yes, it will take a little longer time to kill them than some other brands but it’s certainly better in many ways. It prevents them from re-emerging better than most other weed killers.
You won’t regret it…
Whereas other herbicides require multiple treatments to kill tough-to-handle weeds, it takes only one-time application to neutralize such weeds. So, don’t have any doubts about its effectiveness.
No more scurvy weed infestation in your flower beds! Even the roundup could not kill those long-leafed blade weeds in some cases.
It’s important you get the right water/concentrate mix as per the instruction. You should mix any good spreader sticker as well for more effectiveness too.
Now, spray the solution landscaping marble stones, concrete openings, along your back fences, or any other places where there is a weed infestation. Have some patience. All weeds will die pretty soon.
As advertised, the dead weeds won’t come back for the next 6 months. But in the real world, it’s longer than that!
More Features & Pros
- Non-selective herbicide. It kills everything that comes in contact with it like sedge grass, liriope, monkey grass, and your lawn grass!
- Do not use it on your lawn unless you want to kill the grass. You must wait at least 6 months before you can plant new grass in your lawn.
- Cost-effective. You can treat up to 2,000 square feet.
- Highly effective because it has 41% active ingredients of Glyphosate. Super killer for dandelion, chickweed, crabgrass, clover, and many other pesky weeds.
- Easy to use and effective to kill annoying weeds around ornamental trees, along fences, mulched areas, etc.
- In one application, it can kill all the listed weeds. And controlling weeds have never been so easy and convenient like this.
- DO NOT splash the solution on any plant you don’t intend to kill.
- Many have been using this for years to keep their weed problem at a minimum.
9. Ortho Weed B Gon
Did you know most lawn care companies would be out of business if more and more people get to know this herbicide?
Another selective herbicide where it kills the weeds mercilessly but won’t damage the grass. And you don’t have to be so careful while spraying to protect your grass.
So, I strongly recommend this if you are looking for the best weed killer for flower beds that won’t kill flowers and lawn grass.
Even if you spray it directly on the lawn grass, it won’t kill the grass but the pesky weeds will be dead. It will take some time but no weed can survive this!
Ortho Weed B Gon is a must-have for everyone who needs a slow but sure death for weed but not the grass. So, no uglier lawn full of weeds and no need to pay your local lawn maintenance company.
This has already become a go-to lawn weed killer for most people. The days of disappointment with their overgrown lawns with weeds are gone. Maintaining their lawns has come so easy since adopting this amazing herbicide.
For decades, people have been keeping their lawns weed-free. Thanks to this weed-killer that does not kill the grass!
Apply this to your entire lawn in multiple passes. Within 4 – 5 days, the weeds will turn yellow and they will begin to die during the following week.
Though it does not claim, this stuff works as minor pre-emergent as well. Mix only 2 oz. per gallon of water and it will take care of up to 1000 square feet. Saves tons of money!
Depending on what kind of weeds you have, it will take 10 to 14 days to take full effect and kill the weeds. Have some patience and you will end up having only lush thick grass!
More Pros of Ortho Weed B Gon
- In total you get 32 oz. that can cover up to 16,000 sq. ft. Suitable for both large and smaller lawns.
- From poison sumac to foxtails, it’s effective against most of the weed types. It kills broadleaf weeds, clover, dandelions, etc. to the root! In total, it can kill 250+ listed weeds.
- It does not cause any harm to your lawn grass but you must follow their instruction.
- Apart from Floratam, you can use it on St. Augustine grass. Also, it’s good to use on Bermudagrass, Bluegrass, Fescues, Ryegrass, Centipedegrass, Bahiagrass, Ryegrass, Zoysia grass too.
- Make sure to apply when weeds are actively growing. You may need to apply it twice to kill tough weeds.
- Refill available for the re-usage purpose.
- Switch to this product. Yes, it will be a bold but wise move on your part. You won’t regret it.
- Not super effective against crabgrass or mimosa pudica.
Types Of Weeds You May Have In Your Lawn
Sadly, there are plenty of weed types out there and any one of them can take over your beloved lawn. In my point of view, you should be aware of them to make a better plan.
But luckily, any lawn weed killer mentioned-above is the best weed killer for lawns and can kill almost all of them. Let’s check some of the weeds that you may have:
- Creeping Charlie
It grows very close to the ground and can spread very quickly. It’s very hard to get rid of creeping Charlie because it can re-grow and become a full new plant even if you leave a tiny bit of it during the process.
If you are mainly dealing with this, you need to do some research before getting any herbicides. You will get a better result applying dicamba herbicide to creeping Charlie.
Having crabgrass on your lawn simply indicates you don’t take care of your lawn. Because they love to grow on undernourished thin lawn.
These ground-hugging weeds quickly spread over your lawn grass during the summer. The bad news is the crabgrass seeds can remain in the soil for years and sprout anytime to invade your lawn again and again.
When you notice them on your lawn, it’s already too late. You need chemical-based treatments to get rid of them.
Did you know the dandelion seeds float and look for a chance of small opening to propagate? That’s why you can see them in any sparse and thin lawn.
Unless you kill them from the taproot that can go below the ground up to 10-inch, they will re-grow from the taproot again.
Organic way, you can deal with them only by regular overseeding. In a non-organic way, any broadleaf herbicide containing 2-4-D should be able to kill them.
- Nut Sedge
I hate this wide-bladed weed because of its warp speed growth rate. Their shallow root system has nut-like tubers and each tuber has 7 buds. All the buds can grow to become a new plant.
If you have a small lawn, you can remove the nutsedge manually using a gardening trowel. You must remove them including the roots.
Definitely, you can use herbicide to kill them. But you must apply the herbicide while they are still young.
- Broadleaf Plantain
It’s a pesky weed that can grow in any growing conditions like wet or dry soil, low mowing heights, and heavy clay soil. They can grow up to 2 feet tall and 12 inches wide.
If there are a few of them on your lawn, just remove them manually. Make sure to remove their root systems as well.
Any non-selective herbicide containing glyphosate should kill them. But you may need to re-seed your lawn if you go for such treatment.
- White Clover
Grows well in any unfertilized areas. It’s a cool-seasonal low growing weed that’s not very hard to get rid of.
You can use Corn Meal Gluten to stop white clover seeds from germinating. However, the problem is you can’t overseed your lawn until fall if you apply it in the spring.
Use your hand to manually pull the existing white clover off the ground. But you can kill them the hard way as well. Any broadleaf weed killer can kill them effectively. But make sure the weed killer is pet safe!
Difference Between Pre-emergence And Post-emergence Herbicide
In addition to picking the right herbicide treatment, it takes the right timing and persistence to eradicate weeds. And not all herbicide treatments are made equal.
Depending on many factors like weather, weeds type, soil condition, etc. – some will work better than others.
So, it’s important to learn the basic differences between pre-emergent and post-emergent herbicides.
Here are some key differentiating points to keep in mind:
- Pre-Emergent Herbicides
As you can guess from the name, it takes a proactive approach to prevent the weeds in the first place.
It targets certain weeds before they sprout. This is always better to keep the hassle and waste of time a minimum.
This is how it works…
It goes into the soil and prevents the weeds to grow by inhibiting germination. To get the whole benefit, you need to apply it to the whole area and you can’t miss a spot.
To increase the effectiveness of the pre-emergent, you must water your area after the application.
The trouble with pre-emergent herbicides is that it works mainly for the annual weeds. So, if you are mainly dealing with winter and summer weeds, you can be benefitted using this treatment.
- Post-Emergent Herbicides
There are two types of them: selective and non-selective herbicides. If you need to kill only the weeds but not certain grass, go for the first type and vice versa.
You need them when you need to kill the existing weeds and they work well on many types of weeds. You can use it to eradicate annual broadleaf, perennial, and grassy weeds.
But unlike the pre-emergent herbicides, you don’t need to apply it to the whole yard or region. It is mainly used to spot-treat weeds.
Some people complain about not being effective when it comes to post-emergent herbicides. That’s because they get the timing wrong.
Almost all the post-emergent herbicides work well when the weeds are newly developed. If you get matured weeds, you need multiple applications of such treatments to fully eradicate them.
You do whatever you have to do to save your lawn or yard. There is nothing wrong using chemical-based herbicides where other solution doesn’t offer promising result.
Just make sure you get the best weed killer for lawns. You can pick anyone from the above list. You will be good to go!
- Roundup – – a new perennial weed killer By A. Lange, H. Kempen, W. McHenry, and O. Leonard.
- Glyphosate resistance threatens Roundup hegemony By Emily Waltz.
- Glyphosate (roundup).