Kwikset introduced their SmartCode locks with the vision to spread the use of lockless technology. Lockless technology will help to solve the problem of lost and forgotten keys and fasten the process of unlocking locks of all types of buildings.
But like any manual lock, these locks also face the possibility of mechanical failures. Thus, sometimes the Kwikset SmartCode lock won’t unlock.
To solve issues like this, here is a detailed discussion of the possible steps that you can follow.
Possible Reasons For The Lock Not Working
Sometimes the Kwikset SmartCode lock stops working. There are a variety of reasons as to why the lock might get stuck.
The following is a list of reasons as to why the lock might stop working, and the procedures you can follow when you face these issues:
- The battery of the lock might be too low. You, as a user, will be notified of the low power of the battery when the keypad will flash red light three times with three beeps. In this scenario, you are recommended to open the lock, take out the old batteries and replace them with new ones.
- You must ensure that you have installed a passcode in the lock. It is recommended to install at least one passcode. The lock won’t function without a passcode.
- Sometimes, the user might forget their passcode. Three consecutive failed attempts at entering the correct passcode will result in the touch screen being locked for sixty seconds. In order to change the password, and enter a new passcode, you will have to do a Kwikset SmartCode reset.
- The mounting plate might be exerting pressure on the torque blade. If this happens, you have to separate the interior assembly from the mounting plate. If this doesn’t work, then you should change the position of the plate so that there is no pressure on the torque blade, and set up the interior assembly.
- The clutch could have been disengaged. If this happens, rotate the turn piece a full 180 degrees in a clockwise motion, and this will disengage the clutch.
- It is possible that the hole in the door might have improper alignment. To fix this, you should disassemble and reinstall the lock without the adapter ring. This has to be done on the outside of your door.
How To Unlock Kwikset SmartCode?
Kwikset SmartCode locks are found both in the form of lever sets and deadbolt locks. In order to unlock the door from the inside, you have to turn the thumb turn manually. The deadbolts usually are motor-driven.
You can lock and unlock the door from the outside and this is done through the application of an electric motor.
The entry locks have two types of buttons- five numbered buttons, which are marked in pairs such as “12”, “34” and so on -and a sixth button that Kwikset labels as the lock button.
You, as the owner, can set your desired passcode using these numbers.
The codes usually range between four to eight digits. Once you insert the correct passcode in the SmartCode, the electric motor starts its function and the deadbolt begins to withdraw as a result of this system.
The SmartCode also provides the option to either: automatically lock the door after a gap of thirty seconds, or you can choose to manually press the lock button after you have closed the door, which will result in the bolt going into a locked position in the strike plate, due to movement of the electric motor.
How To Reset Kwikset SmartCode Lock?
Kwikset SmartCode locks can hold up to two different passcodes. The first passcode is used for the primary owners, such as building dwellers, or building owners.
Secondary passcodes are for short-term users such as relatives, maintenance workers, etc.
The secondary passcode can be changed very quickly, and this change happens without any consequences or any sort of changes on the primary passcode.
You can program these passcodes according to your needs, and these codes can range from four to eight digits in length.
Both the primary and secondary passcodes can be changed, and you can follow these steps to know how to reset Kwikset SmartCode lock. You are recommended to follow these steps in the mentioned chronological order:
- Start by removing the back, sliding it up, and pulling it out. There, you shall notice a black button, which will be used to set the program code.
- Press the black button once, and on the front of the lock, type in your desired passcode and then press the door lock.
- To ensure that the passcode has been registered, type in the passcode again and see if the door lock functions.
- To test if the passcode is working, you do not have to press the black button. This is a very key point to remember.
- To change the secondary passcode, similar steps have to be followed, except for one change: instead of pressing the black button once as it was for the first passcode, you have to press the button After pressing the black button twice, the new passcode will have to be entered.
- Just like the first passcode, in order to ensure that passcode has been changed or registered properly, you must put the lock in place and the new code must be entered. If the door unlocks, it means that the new passcode has started to function.
- As with the first passcode, it is important to remember to not press the black button when checking if the passcode has been registered or changed successfully.
Now, watch this video to learn how to factory reset it.
Kwikset SmartCode locks have become very popular over the years. They have helped to reduce the time taken up in closing and opening locks.
They have also greatly helped to reduce the uncertainty that is related to losing or misplacing keys. Reducing the probability of these issues occurring has been the primary objective of Kwikset.
But in spite of their tremendous ability to cut down on minor inconveniences, the Kwikset SmartCode lock won’t unlock at times.
But by following the variety of methods mentioned above, you can fix these problems and use the SmartCode effectively again.