When it comes to eating good food, I consider myself to be a professional at that. Among all the different kinds of cuisine I have cooked and tasted, Korean cuisine has taken a special place in my heart.
They come in with spices that will fill your mouth with taste in just one bite.
I won’t go deep into all the different kinds of Korean food. Here, I will just stick to one of the finest and easiest to cook Korean foods which are Korean corn dogs.
This is a treat from the streets of Korea that you will love to eat. By the end of this article, you will know all about this amazing Korean food even the recipe as well. So, stick with me till the end.
What’s a Korean Corn Dog?
Being a foodie myself, I love street food because of its variety and unique taste. If you love street food then you will surely fall in love with this dish.
Because inside the corn dog you can get a sausage filling or a mozzarella cheese filling. Love both of them? Well, you can have both inside then.
By the way that’s not the only way to fill them. You can get a fish hot dog, spam, squid, and other fillings as well.
So, is it just about the inside of the corn dog? No. You can have different types of toppings on them as well. You can go for breadcrumbs, cornflakes, ramen noodles, French fries, etc.
Is that it?
Yes, for the ingredients and option that’s it. But wait till you hear the ending of this. After the whole thing is fried, they are finally rolled in sugar which adds a tiny sweetness portion to them.
This distinguishes a Korean corn dog from a typical American hot dog. And finally, there is a touch of ketchup and mayonnaise to top things off.
How To Make A Korean Corn Dog?
By now you must be itching to know how you can make a Korean corn dog and try it. Here, I will share the way how I cook it. It’s a pretty straightforward and easy dish to cook.
I will be making a cheesy Korean corn dog with sausages inside. So, without too much blabbering let’s get started.
You will need the following ingredients for making Korean corn dogs-
|Mozzarella or mozzarella sticks||250 g|
|Skewers or wooden sticks||10 sticks|
|Flour||1 ¼ cup|
|Baking powder||½ tbsp|
|Panko breadcrumbs||1 cup|
I usually make all my corn dogs with a combination of cheese and sausages. That’s how I like them. You can make them as you like.
You can either go for whole sausages or whole cheese sticks. Let’s take a look at the complete procedure-
- First of all, I cut the sausages and mozzarella sticks into 4cm pieces. This way you can skewer the sausage and cheese in one single stick. After skewering them I keep them to freeze so they stay cold while I make the batter.
- Next, take a large bowl to make the batter. You have to add sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt first. Whisk all these dry ingredients to blend them properly. Then after a while start adding milk and egg slowly. Now, you have to start whisking until you reach the perfect consistency of the batter.
- The perfect consistency for the batter would be something that doesn’t drip off. It should be thick and sticky. But don’t make it too thick. If you think it’s too thick you can always add some milk in little increments. To check the thickness, you can lift your whisk and see if the batter is running off or not. With the perfect consistency, it shouldn’t.
- I like to keep the batter in the freezer for a while. As my kitchen is a bit warm, I need to keep the batter to be cold for a while. It gives it a better texture when it’s cooked.
- Now, take a pan that can fit a whole corn dog at once. In the pan, you have to pour the batter, all in. Then take another pan and add some breadcrumbs to it. Make sure to get a pan that fits the sticks, it will make the process a lot easier.
- Take a pan and pour some oil into it. Pour oil to the height in which you can cover the whole stick of the corn dog. You have to just assume the height by your eyes as you are cooking. Get the oil to somewhere around 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take out the skewers you kept in the fridge. Then, take a stick and first cover it with the batter. Make sure the whole thing is coated properly. Then do the same thing with the breadcrumbs. I usually use my fingers to spread the batter and the crumbs properly so it’s completely coated with them. Also, don’t make the coating too thick.
- Do this thing for all the other sticks of sausages and cheese. One tip I would give is to try coating them as quickly as you can. And if it’s taking too much time you can always keep the coated ones in the fridge for a while.
- It’s time to fry the sticks. Take two or three coated sticks and fry them in the pan. I cook them for a few minutes until I get the dark golden brownish color on them. Once they have that color you can assume that the batter is completely cooked.
- This is the last and unique portion of a Korean corn dog. You have to finish it off with some drizzling of sugar. You can use many other condiments as well.
See, how simple it is to make a Korean corn dog. Also, it doesn’t take too much time. You can make this whole thing within an hour. Now there are some things I like to be careful of while cooking this dish. First of all, keeping the mozzarella sticks as cold as possible. You will need to keep the cheese ingredient of this dish as cold as you can.
Otherwise, it will lose its shape while you are frying them.
Also, try to keep the batter cold till you start using them. Especially if you have a warm kitchen as I do. Because the batter won’t stick to the sticks when it gets too warm.
Just keep these two things in your mind while making this corn dog. Now, let’s check out some variants you can try of the same dish.
Watch the complete process in this video.
Variety of Korean Corn Dog
You will be glad to know that most of the Korean corn dog recipes follow the same process. You can just switch the ingredients and voila. So, what variety you can have in Korean corn dogs?
To start you can try out different filling options. The sausage and mozzarella cheese combo are a pretty common one.
Other than these two you can try out the fish hot dog. Squid, Korean rice cake, spam, potato wrapped in cheddar cheese.
Is that the only variation to work with? Not at all. You can play with the toppings as well. apart from the panko breadcrumbs, another popular topping option is French fries.
You can also try out ramen noodle topping and even cornflakes as a topping.
For the condiments, it doesn’t always have to be sugar coating. You can have a lot of varieties here. My top favorite is wasabi mayo and honey mustard. You can try out sriracha, teriyaki sauce as well.
And if you are a cheese lover then why don’t you dip some in more cheese. No one’s going to complain about that, I promise.
“But what if I am a vegan?”
Well, I can see some people asking that. So, here’s the answer there are ways you can make a vegan Korean corn dog. All you have to do is replace some ingredients with vegan stuff.
For instance, you can replace the egg with flaxseed. Just use 1 tbsp flaxseeds with 3 tbsp water and let it sit for fifteen minutes.
Instead of regular milk, you can use oat milk. And for the filling, you can try out the vegan sausage and vegan cheese.
So, as you can see there are a lot of varieties you can try in a Korean corn dog. Which one is the best? Well, that’s up to your taste bud and what you like. But make sure to try out the traditional ones first.
What Are Frozen Korean Corn Dogs? Are They Worth It?
Want to get rid of all the hassled of preparing the corn dogs? Or maybe you just want to have a quick meal without too much trouble.
Whatever the case maybe you can always enjoy some frozen corn dogs at any time.
You can get them from grocery shops which come in packages. Or you can prepare them before and store them in your fridge. You can store Korean corn dogs for 2 months in your fridge.
Whenever you wish to eat just take them out of the fridge. Pour some oil into a pan and heat the oil. Then add the corn dogs and fry them for 10 minutes.
Until you get the golden-brown color keep frying. And you are done. It’s that easy.
You can also use a microwave, oven, or air fryer. Will it be as good as freshly prepared ones? Well, I have to say no.
Because the fresh ones will have much more of a softer texture. However, it wouldn’t taste much different.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
In Korean language, a corn dog is called “hot dog”.
It can be made from mozzarella cheese or sausage. Sometimes, it can me made from a combination of the two as well. As for topping, you can use cornflake, ramen noodles, french fries,panko breadcrumbs, etc.
The taste is both sweet and salty they are completley delicious. So, yes, they are tasty!
Well, it is a hog dog coated with a thick layer of sweetened cornmeal batter and fitted onto a wooden stick. That’s where it got the name.
You should dunk it in condiments like mustard, tomato ketchup, cheese sauce, mayonnaise, et. first and eat it until it’s completely gone!
One thing I want you to do is to try out this recipe at least once. Because once you try it, this is sure to become one of favorite food.
Is it healthy? No, it’s not, because it’s typical street food so it’s not supposed to be healthy. Is it enough to fill your belly? For sure.
With each of the Korean corn dogs, you can get the feeling of a meal itself. So, 3 or 4 should be enough to fill up your stomach and take away your hunger.
To sum things up among all Korean dishes this is one of the popular ones. And it’s slowly making its way towards becoming an American street food as well.
So, you can realize the appeal of this food increasing because of how good it tastes.