The Sansevieria or “Snake Plant” is considered to be the best plant to grow indoors because it is durable enough to grow under harsh conditions. These plants look very modern and can be used in a home, an office, or as a gift.
If you’re wondering about getting a snake plant and how fast do snake plants grow, in this article, we’ll discuss the nature and aspects of this plant.
Different Snake Plant Growth Stages
Snake plants are very tolerant of harsh conditions and they can grow without a lot of care. Snake plants prefer growing in a pot and they like warm weather. To take care of a Snake plant, first, you must know how to properly take care of it at each of the snake plant growth stages:
- Root Stage
Snake plants start growing from cuttings from another plant or the root. 3-6 inch containers are used to start growing a snake plant.
- Growth Stage
Snake plants grow very slowly and prefer growing in a pot. If the plant becomes too big then you should transplant it into a bigger pot. A moderate amount of sunlight is enough for the plant to grow.
Snake plants can survive on low watering rates but in the winter you should water them to keep the soil moist. Snake plants can grow up to 4-5 feet. You can make a snake plant grow tall by transplanting it into a pot that is 2” larger in diameter than your current pot.
- Reproductive Stage
After growing tall and having enough foliage, Snake plants can be propagated through their leaves. At this stage, by dividing Snake plants, more plants can be grown. You can cut the leaves horizontally and divide them into sections containing rhizomes. You can then plant them in their individual pots.
- Flowering Stage
Snake plants can produce white-green or yellowish flowers when they have matured. There is no definite time period of when they produce flowers, but they have to be in their pots to produce flowers.
Snake plants can live for 5-10 years and may live even longer with proper care. There are some Snake plants that can survive for over 20 years.
5 Popular Varieties Of Snake Plant
There are several snake plant varieties for you to choose from. Here we’ve mentioned 5 of the best types of Snake plants you can get for yourself.
- Viper’s Bowstring Hemp (Sansevieria laurentii superba)
The Viper’s Bowstring Hemp or the ‘Black Gold’ Sansevieria is our favorite type of snake plant and it is very popular because of the contrast between its dark green leaves and yellow edges.
A particular benefit of the Viper’s Bowstring Hemp is that it has a special root system that enables it to survive in nearly any type of soil. One thing to keep in mind is that this plant is poisonous to cats as well as dogs, so keep your pets away from it.
- Mother-in-Law Tongue (Sansevieria trifasciata)
The Mother-in-Law Tongue is one of the most common varieties of the Snake plant. It is well-known for its design and uniquely shaped foliage. The stripes among its leaves give it a very distinct look and it can live in inadequate conditions.
- Golden Birds’ Nest (Sansevieria trifasciata hahnii)
The Golden Birds’ Nest Snake plant is probably the cutest Snake plant on this list. It has short, light green leaves with dark green edges. It is very appealing whether in a home or an office.
The small size of this type of Snake plant means that it can be used almost anywhere. The Golden Birds’ Nest prefers warm weather and does not grow properly in cold temperatures.
- Twisted Sister (Sansevieria trifasciata ‘Twisted Sister’)
The Twisted Sister Snake plant is one of the most unique Snake plants out there. The beautiful green and yellow leaves of this plant grow into a twisted structure that gives it a very unique and modern look.
- Spear Orchid (Sansevieria cylindrical)
This cylindrical Snake plant called the Spear Orchid is the toughest among the Snake plants. It has tall spear-like foliage that grows upwards from the base.
This plant will grow well in almost any sort of lighting conditions. If you are a busy person then this is the best choice for you because this Snake plant can grow properly even if it has not cared for a long time.
Snake Plant Benefits
Snake plants are quite possibly one of the best house plants for anyone. A few benefits of the Sansevieria are as follows:
- Snake plants don’t require a lot of water to grow properly. They can survive with watering once a week.
- Sansevieria can adapt to harsh conditions such as low sunlight. So they can grow properly inside apartments.
- Studies conducted by organizations such as NASA have proven that the Snake plant can remove toxins from the air. These plants are also used to clean the air inside space stations.
- Snake plants can remove harmful substances such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, or formaldehyde from the air around you.
- Most plants perform respiration and release carbon dioxide (CO2) instead of oxygen (O2) at night, but Snake plants perform a different type of photosynthesis (CAM) and convert carbon dioxide (CO2) to oxygen (O2) even at night.
- The Sansevieria can release moisture in the air and as a result, allergens are decreased. So for someone with allergies, these plants are very beneficial.
- Another great thing about snake plants is that they look very modern and can be used in almost any sort of apartment decor. They look great whether they are on top of your bedside table, near the windows, or on the balcony.
How To Take Care Of A Snake Plant?
Snake plants do not require too much light. Watering them once every 10-14 days will be enough for them to grow. You mostly just have to make sure that the topsoil doesn’t become too dry.
Some common problems such as snake plants not growing may occur because of over-watering. Snake plants survive on little water but too much water can cause the root to start rotting.
You should repot the plant every 2-3 years because newer soil may provide more nutrients and as a result, the plant’s life span will increase.
After propagating, the smaller Snake plant divisions are called “Snake plant pups” and you can transplant them to individual pots to grow more plants of the same variety.
Snake plant pup not growing is a common misconception because as we have said before that snake plants grow so slowly that it may seem like that they are not growing at all. Snake plants mostly grow in the summer and spring.
So, if you are still wondering how fast do snake plants grow, it’s pretty FAST! Snake plants are the best plants to grow for a beginner or someone who is too busy to care for the plant very often.
Snake plants grow very slowly and so they can be the perfect companion for long periods. Taking care of a Snake plant can relieve a person from boredom and teach them new skills.
You can grow a Snake plant without worrying and maybe learn a few life-lessons from these tough, but beautiful little plants.